May 19, 2026 11:02 am
Category Not Found!
May 19, 2026 11:02 am

Trump Calls Off Iran Strike After Gulf Push for Deal

US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that he had canceled a planned large-scale military strike against Iran, which was reportedly scheduled for Tuesday, after key Gulf allies indicated that a diplomatic breakthrough might be within reach through renewed “serious negotiations.”

According to Trump, the decision followed direct requests from Qatar’s Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. The leaders urged him to delay the attack, expressing confidence that ongoing talks with Tehran could soon produce an agreement acceptable to the United States and the wider Middle East.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump emphasized that any potential deal would ensure that Iran does not develop nuclear weapons. However, details remain unclear, particularly regarding whether Iran would permanently halt uranium enrichment. Trump had previously suggested he might accept a temporary suspension of enrichment for up to 20 years, a shift from his earlier hardline stance.

Despite calling off the strike, Trump said he had instructed US military leaders to remain ready to launch a large-scale attack on short notice if negotiations fail. He also confirmed that Israel had been informed before the announcement.

Speaking to reporters, Trump said Gulf leaders believed they were “very close” to a deal and had requested a delay of “two or three days.” Since the outbreak of the Iran conflict on February 28, Trump has repeatedly threatened military action, only to step back amid claims of diplomatic progress.

Iran, however, has not indicated any willingness to permanently abandon its nuclear program, missile development, or regional proxy support—key demands pushed by Israel. Earlier reports suggested tensions were escalating again, with US officials describing Iran’s latest counterproposal as inadequate and warning that talks were making little progress.

Iranian media initially labeled US demands as “excessive,” but later reports from Tasnim News Agency suggested Washington may be open to easing sanctions on Iranian oil exports during negotiations. This would mark a significant concession, potentially involving temporary waivers issued by the US Treasury.

Additionally, sources indicated that the US may allow Iran to continue limited civilian nuclear activities under international supervision.

The developments come amid heightened tensions, with both the US and Israel reportedly preparing for the possibility of renewed military action. Trump recently warned that “the clock is ticking” for Iran to agree to a deal.

Meanwhile, domestic pressure is also mounting. A recent New York Times/Siena poll showed declining public support for the conflict, with Trump’s approval rating falling to 37 percent ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Iranian officials have defended their position, insisting on the lifting of sanctions and access to frozen assets. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that indirect talks are continuing through a Pakistani mediator, but provided no further details.

While negotiations remain ongoing, both sides appear to be balancing diplomacy with the threat of renewed conflict.

Picture of Phatam Bahadur Gurung

Phatam Bahadur Gurung

Recommendation

Latest Update

Login

Please Note:

  • You will need to register in order to leave a comment.
  • You can easily log in using your email, or through Google, Facebook, and Twitter.
  • If you prefer not to comment with your real name, you can change your display name and profile photo to any nickname of your choice. Feel free to comment; your real identity will remain confidential.
  • With registration, you can view a complete summary of your comments, replies, and likes/dislikes in your profile.